Saturday, August 25, 2007

Support Our Troops

One thing that just burns me incessantly is the amount of bandwagon jumpers who purport to be peace-loving activists, all of the sudden coming out of the woodwork. You see it in the poll numbers which seem to show continuing disapproval of the war in Afghanistan and, particularly Iraq. You see it in political debates in U.S. and Canadian politics. You see it in the amount of demonstrations and what not, denouncing the war and pressuring politicians to bring the troops home. This may well be the key issue of the U.S. 2008 elections, who knows.

The problem I have with all these bandwagon jumpers is that they tend to feed off each other as far as their emotions and factual accuracy goes. Ever notice that the people who complain the most about soldiers being in Iraq are non-military people who don't even live or have been to Iraq? They argue about soldiers going overseas to serve in dangerous conditions, but they don't seem to voice equal concern about people dying in our own countries at the hands of one another. I think much of this is either for political gain or to cast oneself into the spotlight to show that they are somehow more enlightened, advanced, and educated.

I was talking with a lady in a supermarket recently, whose nephew is serving in Afghanistan in the Canadian army (he's an equipment engineer of some sort). What she told me is the other side that no one seems to be promoting in the news and general media. I started chatting with her when I saw that she was wearing a "Support Our Troops" t-shirt, and as I passed her with my shopping cart, I said, "that's awesome that you are wearing that." (she was an older lady, so don't get any ideas as to what I meant by that, people). She asked if I was a military man (probably knowing full well that I am not, since my physique is not really built for action), and I said no, but I do want to thank her nephew for serving on behalf of citizens like myself, and putting them in harm's way. I much appreciate it, and the least I can do is to say thanks whenever I come across anyone who is serving or knows someone who is.

We started chatting a bit in the soup aisle. Anyhow, it's interesting what she told me. She said that most people have it wrong, that the soldiers are not constantly aggressively shooting at Afghans or in firefights. She said that while combat is definitely a factor in the troop activity there, there are many units who have non-combat roles - they would help repair infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.), train local Afghan soldiers, help construct schools and hospitals, and there are a bunch of army engineeers who work to establish things like water supplies, shelters, etc. These soldiers are making a difference, and helping the local communities there become self-sufficient. And as a result of seeing the difference they are making, they believe in what they are doing. No question, it's a dangerous job, so we should be very grateful that they are there instead of us. But no, some of us seem to want to gripe and complain that unless there's a pullout, there will likely be more casualties. This is probably true, but I think these troops know that but are committed to help the Afghan people, even if it costs them their lives. That's why I think it is so important that we back home give them our support in that we do not criticize them, and that we show our appreciation, in sending cards, emails, etc., thanking any soldiers or families of soldiers that you may come across in your travels.

Regardless of what you may think about whether Canada, The U.S., Britain, Australia, and their partnering countries should be in Iraq and Afghanistan, the fact of the matter is, they are there now, and they are making a difference for the local people there. Anti-war propagandists would like you to believe, by providing you graphic photos of people being blown up and what not, that the soldiers are there in vain and that all they do is fight, and even then, it is a losing battle. I wonder how many of them have talked to these soldiers' families, to get a more informed and balanced view, rather visiting Michael Moore websites? Logically, do you think that if the soldiers weren't contributing in a positive way, we would be hearing griping from many soldiers as well?

I know the whole war is complex, and it's not my desire, nor my place to comment on military decisions when I am not privy to military operations. But I do know how civil wars work, and if the allied countries were to pull out now, they would leave Iraq and Afghanistan in complete turmoil, and those countries would just descend into chaos, as there is political and governmental stability, no infrastructure stability, no stability in general. Our troops are there to do what they can to empower those countries to become more self-sufficient and independent. What they are doing there is inherently a good thing, so they deserve our support and encouragement.

No comments: